BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Anne Bradstreet: In Reference to her children

I had eight birds hatcht in one nest,
Four Cocks were there, and Hens the rest.
I nurst them up with pain and care,
No cost nor labour did I spare
Till at the last they felt their wing,
Mounted the Trees and learned to sing.
Chief of the Brood then took his flight
To Regions far and left me quite.
My mournful chirps I after send
Till he return, or I do end.

Analysis
I chose this poem because of how Anne shows how lonely she truly is and how she would like for her family to be there for her or at least show her a bit of love and appreciation. In the first stanza she basically states what people make up her family and she refers to them as birds and shes states how her husband always leaves and she is awaiting his return for without him her life would come to an end. Throughout the poem she states of how her children have left to live their own life and that she is now left with two children by her side at least until they grow up and they have to leave. Also the poem, to me, gives a sense of loneliness because her children have left and her husband is always out. That is one of the main reasons why this poem impressed me. I was able to not just understand but also to imagine the pain and loneliness that she is feeling because she feels as though she has nothing left for her and that sooner or later she will be by herself. That is why this is the poem that impressed me out of all.

0 comments: